Thursday, October 25, 2012

Training clients with injuries

Over the years, I've had the opportunity to train many clients with different injuries.
If a potential client has new injuries, I will not train them unless they get a medical clearance letter from a doctor and preferably the doctor that has treated him/her.

I will also recommend the client get physiotherapy to deal with the injuries as an alternative before coming to see me.  If they already have been to a physiotherapist to treat their pre-existing injury and have been medically cleared by a doctor, I will work with the client that is ready to train.

Working with a physiotherapist is an excellent resource for a personal trainer.  They will be able to specifically tell you about the client's range of motion and any possible limitations that your client may have.

If a client has a minor injury like a sprain or tightness in muscles from either walking the dog, sitting too long at a desk at work, I will usually ask them if they are ready to train first.  During the training session, we will often have modifying exercises that will work around the area to prevent putting pressure or straining the injured area and possibly causing further injury.

Any client that is in pain during the work out and cannot continue will be sent home.  I will always follow up with a client to see how they are doing.  If they continue to experience pain for more than a few days, I will ask them to go to their doctor for for a check up before they can continue.

I always enjoy working with clients that have limitations and injuries because I have a few injuries myself and understand how my clients feel.  It is always a bonus when you see your client progress through their limitations and are on their way back to starting an exercise program, and continuing on with a healthy lifestyle.  The smile on my clients faces are what gives me the motivation to love doing what I do for a living.

Yours in good health,

Corey T.

B.O.S.S. Fit Team



No comments:

Post a Comment